Thursday, March 31, 2011

Elephant Self-Portrait


Medium:  Plasteline Clay
Time:  On and off over the course of several weeks

This is myself fused with an elephant.  Here are some fun facts:
*The inside is styrofoam with pvc piping and armature wire for structure, keeps it light(er).  The ears also have wire mesh inside them.
*The eyes are glass taxidermy eyes.  It is VERY HARD to find human-type glass taxidermy eyes.  But they matched my eye-color BEAUTIFULLY so it was totally worth the hard search, more expensive price, and hour drive to get them.
*The teeth (which you totally can't see well in these photos...SORRY!) were modeled after my own teeth.  I had made a press-mold out of wax, then pressed in model-magic and re-defined some details before letting it dry.
*An elephant's nose starts above their eyes...so when I did my fusion I had the ears placed as an elephant's skull would have them, the trunk came off of my own nasal cavity with the tusks in a similar position in relation to the trunk.  The upper part of the skull, above my orbital sockets, is modeled after an elephant's skull while the mandible and cheekbones are mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment